INTRODUCTION TO CIVIL AVIATION
This is a practical course for students who are still developing fluency in written and spoken English, and who wish to improve their vocabulary capacity and comprehension in the context of Civil Aviation. The course is designed for students whose first language is not English. Common Civil Aviation documents are studied, as well as grammar, syntax and style.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Produce a range of common workplace documents
- Recognize common vocabulary use in context in Civil Aviation
- Prepare and deliver coherently and logically argued written material
- Critically evaluate their own and others’ ideas about the context
- Engage productively and respectfully with their peers
- Recognize and apply transferable skills in other university courses and in professional contexts beyond the university
Learning & Teaching Modes
The course is built around a series of units covering grammar and expression, and the conventions of common Civil Aviation documents. These will be complemented by weekly assignments in which students will practice the reproduction of a range of authentic Civil Aviation documents used in everyday work contexts in preparation for the submission of their own work. The opportunity of being able to study context and to review quizzes consolidate the learning of key principles in the construction and design of common workplace documents and develop skills in the evaluation of them. Weekly designed plans address the needs of students from non-English speaking backgrounds face in expression, context, style and tone.